Thursday, February 17, 2011

First Flight

I think I am going to have bees. I am a 54.5 years old, live in post-agricultural New Hampshire (bits of my surroundings are actively farmed, but not most of the divorced, bird-feeding, half-Texan, omnivorous, NPR-listening woman with a Roman Catholic MDiv and two spinning wheels, four cats, and too many books. A lot of them are science fiction. Enough about me; you want more, there's another blog.

This one is going to be about becoming a beekeeper, and host links to articles or books, because bibliography is one of my guilty passions. I love fixing people up with information.

In the interests of getting this thing into the air, here are some things to read. I will come back to me and whatever is happening later, after I have had more tea.

Almost true bees -- Robert Krulwich about forensic pollen and more.The headline is Bees That Work For the Police. but the code says 'bees-who-work-for-the-police". Is it all relative?

Beekeeping was only recently made legal (again) in New York. Here's an article about the, well, they could hardly be the underground, could they? beekeepers before the law changed in their favor. Contains a fine irrelevant quote from Rudy Giulani (not mentioning 911!).

The Beekeeper Next Door A bee grows in Brooklyn, and the other boroughs, and other towns in other states.

Maraschino bees! Bees on drugs!
The Red Bees of Red Hook
The Secret Downside of Urban Beekeeping

And then what happened: Helping Brooklyn's Red Stingers Get Off the Juice.

I am going to try to stay upbeat (that's code for 'not-frothing-at-the-mouth insane') but some of the reports about the envronment make me justifiably batty. I have another blog, Dystopic Fun, which is just links to the latest things that make me....anyway, I will link to it when I have something particularly disturbing that affects bees. But making you click twice would be unkind, so here's a link to a cheery article about Roundup, a soi-disant safe herbicide which was remarked on the Organic Beekeepers YahooGroup as being worse for bee larvae than some insecticides. Regardless, not good.

Enough about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment